Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cows

 I grew-up near a lot of farms and was a member of the local 4-H club. Spending a good deal of time around farm animals including cows was something I loved to do. I think that cows are an impressive animal, maybe not my favorite farm animal but I do like cows, spending their days in the green fields dotted with shade trees and the meandering stream.


 So when saw this add-campaign last year about "Happy Cows come from California"  it made me think about the cows from my childhood. They didn't seem unhappy so I thought that the cows in California must be really happy then. This pasts' summer vacation plans took me to California, so I was looking forward to seeing these very "Happy Cows."


 After a few days in California when traveling from Sequoia National Park to Monteray Bay I got my first sight of cows. Much to my horror they were all on what I believed to be "factory farms."  My view was only from the road but I never saw such repulsive conditions. Thousands and thousands of cows crowded under metal roofing, standing  in what looked like mud, not a blade of grass, a tree or stream in sight for miles around.

Now to be fair I don't know if cows have the ability to be happy or sad but if they do the cows in Pennsylvania, from my prospective, are much happier then those in California!


No comments:

Post a Comment