Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Reduce weeds in and around your Garden



if you have started a garden, flower or vegetable, you are now seeing the weeds sprouting up along with your valued plants. Here are a few ideas that may make those chores a bit easier.

The part of gardening that I like least is pulling weeds. So when planting actual plants like tomatoes I will take my grass clipping and cover the ground with a thick covering. I will also do this when other plants grow large enough. It not only hinders the growth of weeds it also retains moisture in the ground to reduce the need to water. You could also use compost just keeping it on top not turning it into the soil or mulch. I like the grass clipping because I have an abundance of them in the spring time.
I add a thick layer of grass clippings where ever I want to block out weeds, it looks like I am burring everything but soon it will turn brown and flatten out. 


For the weeds that are growing in sidewalk cracks, walkways, or in a stone garden boiling water is a chemical free way to kill them. Take your tea kettle with boiling water in it and about an inch about the weed slowly pour enough water to wet the leaves and to soak down to the roots. Be careful that the boiling water does not splash on your feet or legs.

Growing food yourself is a great way to make sure you are getting good healthy vegetables at a value and local. You do not need a lot of space for a few tomato plants, some pepper plants, string beans, lettuce, and kale to name a few. Herbs are also easy and will grow most anywhere. Give it a try if you haven't already and  those of you who already are gardening, great! Lets keep working toward a healthier you and and a healthier planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment