Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mixed-Berry Cobbler


A few weeks ago I went to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia for a getaway weekend with my honey. After a full day of hiking, spotting coyotes, and playing with the many very friendly deer we headed to the lodge for a much anticipated dinner. To my pleasant surprise the menu items were made mostly with local ingredients. We both had a wonderfully satisfying meal yet the desserts coming past our table were very inviting. One in particular caught my attention, the wild-berry cobbler. I now could not wait to get home and make this distinctive dessert.

I decided to make my version, mixed-berry cobbler for Thanksgiving for those who like something other then the traditional pumpkin pie. But do not wait for a holiday to try this very simple recipe.

First I made some very berry sauce and whipped cream. Then I took some all natural animal cracker and broke them in half. Into an individual dessert bowl I spooned in some warm very berry sauce then I put in the broken animal crackers and covered them with more sauce, then topped it off with a dollop of whipped cream. I need to go buy some more berries so that I can make it again!

Enjoy

Mixed-Berry Cobbler

Very Berry Sauce

3 cups mixed frozen berries
¼ cup brown rice syrup
¼ cup water
2 Tbs. cold water
2 Tbs. corn starch or kuzu

Combine the berries, brown rice syrup and ¼ cup of water in a sauce pan. Stir and bring to a boil. Have ready the corn starch and 2 tablespoons of water mixed together to make a thin paste. Slowly pour the cornstarch mixture into the boiling berries while stirring, it will quickly get thick. Remove pan from the heat continuing to stir for about 1 minute more.


Whipped Cream


1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. stevia

Add all the ingredients into a blender in the order that they are listed while on medium speed. Cover and turn blender speed up to high. When cream has gotten thick, about 30 seconds, it is done.


(Excerpts from Trish’s Dishes Copy right 2009)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds epically yummy! Are you making it for Christmas? Are you making pie???? I'm going to *attempt* to make gingersnaps for the party at the yarn store. I even bought molasses and everything! *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know yet, but I am making pumpkin pie. You will do fine with baking the gingersnaps! Enjoy your party.

    ReplyDelete