Thursday, February 25, 2010

An Onion A Day Keeps A Stroke Away

Stroke is just one of the many devastating effects of heart disease. Heart disease and stroke are not sudden onset diseases, they take many years of unhealthy living before you even know that it is a danger to you. Family history and taking a good look at your lifestyle are just two ways that you can help you determine if you are at risk. If you feel that you are at risk see your doctor, learn the early warning signs of a stroke and make lifestyle changes. These steps could improve the quality of your life in the years to come. I am at risk because I have a family history of stroke, grandmother, mom, brother. So, I have learned the early warning signs and I take special care with my lifestyle choices to reduce my chances of heart disease and stroke.
Just what is a stroke? There are two types of strokes, one is when a blood clot has moved into the brain and is preventing vital blood from flowing normally throughout the brain. Clots can form when the blood can not move freely through vessels due to clogged arteries and sticky “fatty” blood. Second is when a blood vessel has broken in the brain and blood leaks from the vessel causing damage. When our capillaries are weak they can break easily with such conditions as high blood pressure. Both are equally devastating but if you get medical treatment within the first few hours your chances of a full recovery are good. I have seen this happen.


I believe that there is no one cause for a disease and that there is not just one way to heal from a disease. There may be factors that are beyond our control but many more that we can affect everyday. I need to think differently, move differently, and eat differently then those in my family that have had strokes. Looking for the positive even in the worst of situations is hard but keeps you moving forward. Meditation can help you get to know yourself without the noise of society telling us what we want and need. Learn to listen to you, you may be surprised. Next, I exercise, I jump on a mini trampoline and stretch you just need to find something that gets you moving and make it a part of your daily routine. Floss, medical research has found that there is a direct lick between gum disease and heart disease. But for me I feel that diet can make the biggest impact on heart disease.
“An onion a day keeps a stroke away” that is the saying I like. Do you have any idea how powerful this food is? Onions are part of the allium family which also includes garlic, leeks, shallots, scallions, and chives. But the onion provides the best source of quercetin a powerful flavonoid that can help decrease platelets from sticking and lower lipids. They also contain organosulfurs that inhibit the production of cholesterol. Onions are not the only powerful stroke busters we need to keep our arteries and capillaries with strong antioxidants. They are the red, orange, yellow, and green fruits and vegetables that when combine with grain fiber also help to keep plaque to a minim.
Throughout the day I enjoy whole grains, nuts and fruits. My dinner plate will be more then half full with colorful vegetables and onions then a whole grain or starch and a protein. I use extra virgin olive oil and spices to bring out the bold flavors for a delicious meal. You can too. Be well!


2 comments:

  1. I discovered leeks while I was in England! Yum! A quick question though: I am, as you well know, not the world's biggest fan of onions, but have come to terms with the fact that they make food taste better. I tend to chop my onions into really tiny pieces when I cook so that I can forget that they are in there, but as a consequence they tend to cook really quickly. Does over cooking onions defeat their ability to do all the good stuff you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The longer you cook onions the sweater they get. When makeing really good carmalized onions, it takes 4 hours of cooking time! Be sure that you are not burning your onions though, that will defeat all the good you are wanting from your onions. If burning is occuring just add your onions later in the cooking process of your dish.

    ReplyDelete